Writing down a goodmakes you leave a good impression and also maintain your dignity. The letters are usually filed for future use by the employers so having a good one is always a plus.
Tips on how to write a good resignation letter
- Use a good layout: although there is no specific layout for this kind of letter, it is good and important to have a professional appearance in the letter. In the layout, address the person by name i.e. “Dear (first name)” This will give it a formal yet a friendly outlook. Be sure to include the company’s address and the employer’s title when writing the address,
- State the reason and the time; begin the letter by stating that you are resigning and the time in which you expect to leave. This will inform the supervisor about the time. It is at this time that you state the reason but please don’t state the reason if it is a negative reason. Because you want to leave a good impression with the employers, you could thank them for employing and offer your services so as to make the transition period a smooth one. You could list your experience you obtained during your employment in the company. In the last paragraph you could express your best wishes to the company.
- End the letter with a formal look by using a closing word “yours sincerely” since you are addressing the letter to a particular person. Skip 4 lines type your name, print the letter and sign it in between the closing and your name. Seal it with an envelope and hand it over personally to your supervisor.
- Do not make the letter too long , just let be short and straight forward
- Do not write any negative remarks on your letter, even if the reason for leaving is a negative one, it is better to keep it to yourself.
- Unless something comes up, hand over the letter yourself, do not email.
- Use a good format, this make it formal yet friendly.
- Use simple language that is understandable.